Uganda: UHFTAWU meeting with the Director Labour to discuss rights of domestic workers
Namaganda Assumpta, Assistant General Secretary of Uganda Hotels, Food, Tourism & Allied Workers Union (UHFTAWU) initiated a communication with the Director Labour in the Ministry of Gender, Labour & Social Development to seek for government's position on domestic workers especially migrant domestic workers whose situation is so alarming.
On 2016 May 25, a meeting was hosted by Mr. Wandera Martin, Director Labour joined by Mr. Apollo, Principle Industrial Relations Officer -Ministry of Gender, Labour & Social Development.
Photo details: Left is Mr. Apollo -Principal Industrial Relations Officer, Ms. Namaganda Assumpta-Assistant General Secretary for DW -UHFTAWU, Mr. Wandera Martin-Director Labour (purple neck tie with spectacles) Mr. Mugole Stephen-General Secretary UHFTAWU, Mr. Sabiti Elijah - Director Finance & Administration-UHFTAWU, Mr. Mauku R. Moses-Director Planning & Operations -UHFTAWU.
Issues had been discussed in the meeting:
- Minimum wage: a board has been constituted and will come up with recommendations to the Cabinet and the director will update us on the developments.
- MDW: We provided the director with information about MDWs problems they face out there esp. in the Arab World. Confirmed that the ban has not been lifted and it is being monitored closely. We were informed that the ministry has set up a committee to develop Manuals & Guidelines of Pre-Orientation for MDW and he promised that UHFTAWU officers will be included on this committee. We appreciated the fact that the director has personally assisted in the return of MDWs stuck in S. Arabia.
- Ratification of C189: The ministry has made recommendations to the cabinet about the convention and are waiting for a response.
- DW inclusion in the Law: the process of reviewing The Employment Act,2006 is still on going not completed.
- UHFTAWU requested to be involved in DW activities since it is the T.U representing them and the director promised to ensure that we are involved and he will consult with us more often in this regard.
- 16/June -DW day: he promised to meet with us in order to present issues and demands by DWs. We shall use this opportunity to request the director to sign up a pledge card "My Fair Home".
- The director promised to host us again to provide us with new developments on the issues we have raised. so we are looking forward to it.
Story Type: News